Dr Ronny Tan
- Prosthetic urology (penile implants, artificial urinary sphincters)
- Peyronie’s disease
- Sexual Medicine (erectile dysfunction, ejaculatory disorders)
- Penile rehabilitation
- Prostate diseases (BPH)
- Urinary tract stones
Appointments: +65 6735 0369
MB,BS (Singapore), MRCS (Edinburgh), M.Med (Surgery), FAMS (Urology)
About Dr Ronny Tan
Dr. Ronny Tan is a Consultant Urologist and Andrologist who is trained locally and board-certified by the Specialist Accreditation Board. He is a Fellow of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore. He sub-specializes in Andrology, Male Subfertility, Sexual Medicine and Urological Prosthetic Surgery and is the first Singaporean to be fellowship-trained in USA in this niche specialty, having spent one year undergoing a SMSNA (Sexual Medicine Society of North America)- accredited clinical fellowship in Tulane University, Louisiana, New Orleans. He was led by world-renowned Andrologist and Prosthetic Urologist Professor Wayne Hellstrom, who served as the past president of the International Society of Sexual Medicine (ISSM), SMSNA and the American Society of Andrology (ASA).
During his fellowship at Tulane, Dr. Tan implanted the latest Titan Touch penile implant from Coloplast as well as the quadratic urethral sling. He was one of the first to start using intralesional injections for the treatment of Peyronie’s disease and reported on the efficacy of the second-generation PDE5 inhibitor for the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
Before starting his private practice at Advanced Urology Associates, Dr. Tan was the Director of Andrology in Tan Tock Seng Hospital and helmed the Complex Erectile Dysfunction Clinic. He pioneered the use of low-intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy (LiESWT) for erectile dysfunction in restructured hospitals and was the first to report the efficacy of this modality of treatment for local patients. He is proficient in the placement of urethral slings, artificial urinary sphincters for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence as well as penile prosthesis (ranging from malleable to inflatable) for the treatment of erectile dysfunction. He is also trained in the single-incision concomitant placement of prostheses for both erectile dysfunction and stress urinary incontinence.
Dr. Tan was also one of the first urologists in the department who started the clinical service using high power greenlight laser vaporization for treating benign prostate enlargement and serves as the department proctoring surgeon for the procedure.
Dr. Tan has vast experience in the management of penile deformities, ranging from frenulum breve to congenital penile curvatures to Peyronie’s disease. He also offers evaluation for male subfertility and is trained in sperm retrieval techniques ranging from percutaneous sperm aspiration, microsurgical TESE to electro-ejaculation. He offers microsurgical varicocelectomy for the treatment of inferior sperm parameters due to varicoceles.
With regards to medical education, he served as Clinical Core Faculty of the NHG Urology Residency Program and has trained many urology specialists. He is also an Adjunct Assistant Professor of the Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine, Nanyang Technological University as well as a Senior Lecturer of the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore. He was also awarded “Best Teacher” numerous times for his passion and dedication to teaching medical students and young specialists in training. Together with his urology specialist trainee, he was awarded a HOMER Grant to train junior doctors on bladder washout.
Dr. Tan is well published and continues to be a regular reviewer for the Journal of Sexual Medicine, Sexual Medicine Reviews and Urology (Gold Journal). He has served as the course director in numerous symposia, masterclasses as well as courses on andrology and sexual medicine, He is often invited as speaker and faculty of loco-regional and international conferences. He is also active in organizing public forums and GP forums and contributes articles to local magazines and newspapers to raise the awareness of Men’s Health issues to both the public and family physicians.
Dr. Tan led a team looking at ways to improve the cost-effectiveness of ambulatory day surgical management of patients who have undergone TURP or TUVP while he was in Tan Tock Seng Hospital and was awarded the coveted Gold Award at the Asian Hospital Management Awards 2018.
Dr Tan was on the committee for Clinical Practice Guidelines 2012 for treatment of Premature Ejaculation and is the co-chairman for the SMHS Guidelines 2014 for management of erectile dysfunction.
Dr Ronny Tan was awarded the Youth Fellowship of the Urological Association of Urology in 2017 and is currently on the Executive Committee of the Singapore Urological Association (SUA) and the Society for Men’s Health Singapore (SMHS). He serves as the Honorary Treasurer of the Society for Continence Singapore (SFCS), the Vice-President of the Global Chinese Andrology and Sexual Medicine Association (GCASMA) and is the Chairman of the Membership Committee of the International Society for Sexual Medicine (ISSM).
- Low-intensity extracorporeal shockwave treatment (LiESWT) for erectile dysfunction
- Low-intensity extracorporeal shockwave treatment (LiESWT) for chronic pelvic pain syndrome
- Urological prosthetic surgeries (penile implant/prosthesis for erectile dysfunction, urethral slings and artificial urinary sphincter for stress urinary incontinence)
- Erectile dysfunction and ejaculatory dysfunction
- Penile curvatures and Peyronie’s Disease
- Treatment of BPH – TURP, TUVP (greenlight laser)
- Testosterone therapy for testosterone deficiency
- Male subfertility assessment and treatment
- Sperm retrieval techniques (EEJ, PVS, TESA, TESE, micro TESE) Microsurgical
- Microsurgical varicocelectomy for symptomatic varicoceles and/or subfertility Male contraception (vasectomy) Reversal of vasectomy
Gold Award, Asian Hospital Management Awards 2018 (Cost impact analysis of Shifting BPH patients undergoing TURP from inpatient to ambulatory day surgery centre, TTSH)
Urological Association of Asia Youth Section Fellowship 2017
NHG-HOMER FY/B05 Grant The Manual Bladder Washout – “See one, do one, teach one” or formalized teaching
TTSH Top 10 Teachers (Div of Surgery & ADM) 2012-2013
NHG HMDP Award for Fellowship in Andrology, Sexual Medicine, Subfertility & Urological Prosthetic Surgery 2013
Best Teacher, Junior, Division of Surgery, TTSH 2011-2012
Courage Star (SARS Outbreak in Singapore) 2003
1. Ban-Wei Tan, Khai-Lee Toh. UP-1.014: Spontaneous Bleeding from Renal Angiomyolipoma Presenting with Haemoperitoneum. Urology (2009) 74 (4), Suppl: S175
2. Ban-Wei Tan, Khai-Lee Toh. Letter to the Editor: Life threatening intraperitoneal hemorrhage with abdominal compartment syndrome: Unusual presentation of renal angiomyolipoma. International Journal of Urology (2010)17:820-821.
3. Ban-Wei Tan, Gerald Yau Min Tan, Noan-Minh ChauA second-generation taxane for metastatic castrate-resistant prostate cancer. Medical Progress (2011) 8 (12): 603-606
4. Teck Wei Tan, Ban Wei Tan, Sing Joo Chia, Keng Siang Png. VID-25 Single-stage laparoscopic management of impacted proximal large proximal ureteric stone with concomitant multiple renal stones Urology (2013) 82 (3) Suppl: s174.
5. Eric J Shaw, Gregory C Mitchell, Ronny B Tan, Premsant Sangkum, Wayne JG Hellstrom. The Non-Surgical Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease: 2013 Update. World Journal of Men’s Health (2013) 31(3): 183-192
6. Teck Wei Tan, Ban Wei Tan, Sing Joo Chia, Keng Siang Png. V41 Single-stage laparoscopic management of impacted proximal ureteric stone with concomitant multiple renal stones. Eur Urol Suppl (2014) 13 (1): eV41.
7. Suresh Sikka, Sree Mandava, Khulood Kadhum, Nick Saragusa, Ronny Tan, Kambirz Tajkarimi, Wayne Hellstrom. An Objective Evaluation of Viberect (Male Vibrator Device) In Inducing Functional Erection In Comparison To Intracavernosal Vasoactive Injection Using Penile Duplex Doppler Ultrasound Blood Flow Analysis. Andrology (2014), 2(Suppl. 1), 41.
8. Ronny BW Tan, Premsant Sangkum, Gregory C Mitchell, Wayne JG Hellstrom. Update on Medical Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease. Current Urology Reports (2014) 15(6): 415. doi: 10.1007/s11934-014-0415-4.
9. Ronny BW Tan, Andre T Guay, Wayne JG Hellstrom. Clinical Use of Aromatase Inhibitors in Adult Males. Sexual Medicine Reviews 2014; 2: 79-90.
10. Louis Alperti, Ronny Tan, Premsant Sangkum, Sharika Hagan, George Lasker, Joshua Hellstrom, Landon Trost, Suresh Sikka, Wayne Hellstrom. The Journal of Urology (2014) 191 (4): e523-e524.
11. Wayne JG Hellstrom, David Cook, Ronny BW Tan, LeRoy Jones ,Charles H Bowden, Wesley W Day, Chien-Feng Chen. The Journal of Urology (2014)191 (4): e531
12. Julie Wang, Landon Trost, Sijo Parekattil, Ronny Tan, Wayne Hellstrom. VB-04 Intra-corporeal Robot Assisted Vaso-vasostomy For The Management of Bilateral Vasal Obstruction Following Inguinal Herniorrhaphy With Mesh. The Journal of Urology (2014) 191 (4): e785-e786.
13. Premsant Sangkum, Ahmet Gokce, Ronny Tan, Sree Harsha Mandava, Mostafa Boulijhad, Hogyoung Kim, George Lasker, Zakaria Abd Elmageed, Wayne Hellstrom. MP13-16 A TGF- β1 based rat model for urethral stricture. The Journal of Urology (2014) 191 (4): e181-e182.
14. Landon Trost, Taylor Peak, Ronny Tan, Suresh Sikka, Wayne JG Hellstrom. PD22-06 The Journal of Urology (2014) 191(4): e674.
15. Wayne JG Hellstrom, Marc Gittleman, Ronny BW Tan, James P Tursi, Ted Smith, Gregory J Kaufman, Nigel A Jones, Culley C Carson.The Journal of Urology (2014) 191 (4): e672
16. Ronny BW Tan, Jonathan L Silberstein, Wayne JG Hellstrom. Testosterone and the Prostate. Sexual Medicine Reviews 2014; 2: 112-120.
17. Eric Katz, Ronny BW Tan, Wayne JG Hellstrom. Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management (2014) 10: 701-711.
18. Steven D Jones Jr, Ronny BW Tan, Wayne JG Hellstrom. Phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors for stuttering priapism: recent advances. Expert Opinion on Orphan Drugs (2014) 2 (9): 937-946.
19. Julie C Wang, Landon Trost, Sijo Parekattil, Ronny BW Tan, Wayne JG Hellstrom. Intra-corporeal Robotic-assisted Vaso-vasostomy for the Management of Bilateral Vasal Oostruction Following Inguinal Herniorrhaphy with Mesh. VJPU 2014; 1:018
20. Taylor Peak, K Kammel, Premsant Sangkum, Ronny BW Tan, Wayne JG Hellstrom. Update on Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction. Reference Module in Biomedical Sciences 2015, Elsevier) doi:10.1016/B978-0-12-801238-3.06062-1
21. L Aliperti, R Tan, P Sangkum, S Hagan, G Lasker, J Hellstrom, L Trost, S Sikka, W Hellstrom. 22. Sangkum P, Gokce A, Tan RB, Boulijhad M, Kim H, MAndava SH, Saleem SN, Lasker GF, Yafi FA, Abd Elmageed ZY, Moparty K, Sikka SC, Abdel-Mageed AB, Hellstrom WJ. TGF-beta1 induced urethral fibrosis in a rat model. The Journal of Urology 2015 Feb 9. pii: S0022-5347(15)00253-0. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2015.02.014. (Cited as one of the top papers J Uro 2015 during AUA 2016)
23. Ronny Tan. Staying Hard After Treatment of Prostate Cancer. Strategies to restore sexual quality of life in men (ISSM Symposium) Proceedings from the 22nd Congress of the World Association For Sexual Helath, Singapore, July 25-28, 2015. J Sex Med 2015; 12 (suppl 5): 294-381.
24. Marcus Chow, Arianto Yuwono, Ronny Tan. Tumour lysis syndrome: a rare acute presentation of locally advanced testicular cancer – case report and review of literature. Asian Journal of Urology (2015), doi: 10.1016/j.ajur.2015.09.005
25. Faysal A Yafi, Lawrence Jenkins, Maarten Albersen, Giovanni Corona, Andrea M Isidori, Shari Goldfarb, Mario Maggi, Christian J Nelson, Sharon Parish, Andrea Salonia, Ronny Tan, John P Mulhall, Wayne JG Hellstrom. Erectile Dysfunction. Nature Reviews Disease Primers 2, 16003 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nrdp.2016.3
26. Weiliang Chong, Ronny B Tan. Injectable therapy for Peyronie’s disease. Trans Androl Urol. 2016 Jun; 5 (3): 310-317.
27. Nathaniel H Heah, Jeffrey J Leow, Ronny B Tan. C-ADRO-1248. Low intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy in the treatment of erectile dysfunction: early experience at Tan Tock Seng Hospital. International Journal of Urology (2016) 23 (Suppl.1), 1-142. doi:10.1111/iju.13149.
28. Nathaniel H Heah, Jeffrey J Leow, Ronny B Tan. C-ADRO-2134. Low intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy in the treatment of erectile dysfunction: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. International Journal of Urology (2016) 23 (Suppl.1), 1-142. doi:10.1111/iju.13149.
29. Heah NH, Leow JJ, Chong W, Gruenwald I, Tan RB. 226. Low intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy in the treatment of erectile dysfunction: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. Journal of Sexual Medicine (2017) 14 (Suppl. 1), 1: S64.
30. Heah NH, Leow JJ, Chong W, Tan RB 287. Low intensity extracorporeal shockwave therapy in the treatment of erectile dysfunction: early experience at Tan Tock Seng Hospital. Journal of Sexual Medicine (2017) 14 (Suppl. 1), 1: S85-S86.
31. Joe KC Lee, Ronny BW Tan, Eric Chung Erectile dysfunction treatment and traditional medicine—can East and West medicine coexist? Transl Androl Urol 2017;6 (1):91-100..
32. Wayne JG Hellstrom, Ronny BW Tan, Genzhou Liu. http://dx.doi.ord/doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2017.05.004.g
33. Liu Z, Chow MWL, Lua AHA, Tan RBW. Rare isolated synchronous splenic metastasis in a patient with type II papillary renal cell carcinoma. AME Case Rep. 2018 Mar 14;2:9. doi:10.21037/acr.2018.02.01.
34. Ronny BW Tan, Wayne JG Hellstrom. Vascular Surgery for Erectile Dysfunction, Male Sexual Dysfunction: A Clinical Guide. Edited by Suks Minas, John Mulhall. ISBN 978-1-118-74655-4 – John Wiley & Son.
- Society for Men’s Health Singapore 2013 Guidelines on Testosterone Deficiency Syndrome
- Society for Men’s Health Singapore 2013 Guidelines on Premature Ejaculation
- Society for Men’s Health Singapore 2014 Guidelines on Erectile Dysfunction (Co-chairman)
- Society for Men’s Health Singapore 2015 Guidelines on Better Prostate Health
- “Update on Inflatable Penile Implants” Louisiana State Urological Society Meeting 2014 (New Orleans, LA, USA)
- “IPP & Plication” Prosthetic Urology Symposium with Extensive Use of Videos 8/10/14 (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- “ED Surgical” Moderated poster chair, 16th World Meeting on Sexual Medicine 2014 (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- “PD pharmacotherapy and traction therapy” Round table – Outcomes of Peyronie’s disease treatment, 16th World Meeting on Sexual Medicine 2014 (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
- Moderator for Live Surgery on inflatable penile prosthesis 12/03/15 Urofair 2015
- “Medical management of Peyronie’s Disease” 11/03/15, 1st ISSM-SMHS-SUA Andrology Symposium 2015
- “Evolution of the penile implant” Masterclass for Prosthetic Urological Surgery 13/3/15, Urofair 2015
- “Approaches to the penile implant” Masterclass for Prosthetic Urological Surgery 13/3/15, Urofair 2015
- “The Bent Phallus. The Diagnosis” Certificate Course for Practical Andrology 23/5/15
- “Non-surgical treatment of Peyronie’s Disease” Certificate Course for Practical Andrology 23/5/15
- “Can erectile dysfunction be prevented? Point-counter point – Pro” Certificate Course for Practical Andrology 24/5/15
- “Update on the Penile Prosthesis” Certificate Course for Practical Andrology 24/5/15
- “Post-RP penile rehabilitation. Is it really justified? Point-counter point – Con” Certificate Course for Practical Andrology 24/5/15
- “Single-incision concurrent placement of IPP and AUS. Is it feasible?” Certificate Course for Practical Andrology 24/5/15
- “Is Testosterone the Elixir of Youth?” Certificate Course for Practical Andrology 24/5/15
- “The Journey of a Hypogonadal Man from Diagnosis to Management” Testosterone Deficiency Syndrome Workshop 30/5/15
- “Staying Hard after treatment of prostate cancer” – Strategies to Restore Sexual Quality of Life in Men. ISSM Symposium during 22nd Congress of World Association for Sexual Health (Singapore) 25/7/15
- Invited Faculty, Examiner for Mock Viva Voce, Urology Resident’s Course 2015
- “The Ups and Downs of Men’s Wellness” Symposium 2: One Day in General Practice. Primary Care Forum 2015, Singapore Health & Biomedical Congress 2015 3/10/15
- “Testosterone Replacement Therapy and Prostate Cancer” Prostate Cancer. SCS-SMA Cancer Education Series 2015, 31/10/15
- “Testosterone Deficiency Syndrome – Making Sense of the Controversies” Certificate Course for Practice Andrology 9/4/16
- “Ways to Fix Penile Curvatures” Certificate Course for Practice Andrology 10/4/16
- “Penile Implants: Still the Gold Standard?” Certificate Course for Practice Andrology 10/4/16
- “Cancer Survivorship: Is There Sex Life After That?” Certificate Course for Practice Andrology 10/4/16
- “Treatment Options in Men with Sexual Dysfunction Arising From Neural Injury” NSpine Symposium: Sex and the Spine. SpineWeek 2016 16/5/16
- “Surgery and Advances in the Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction” Urology Residents Course 2016 18/7/16
- “What is the solution for Infected Implants” ISSM-SMHS Andrology Symposium during UAA 2016 (20/7/16)
- “Treatment options for male subfertility secondary to ejaculatory dysfunction” Premature Ejaculation Masterclass during UAA 2016 (23/7/16)
- “Update on the Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction” Ramathibodi International Academic Conference (RIAC) 2016 (Bangkok, Thailand) 7-9/9/16
- “Adverse Effects of Testosterone Therapy: What Should We Be Concerned About?” Ramathibodi International Academic Conference (RIAC) 2016 (Bangkok, Thailand) 7-9/9/16
- “Testosterone therapy in aging men: 2016 updates” Welcome Back the Man He Used to Be. Besins Healthcare (Bangkok, Thailand) 7/9/16
- “Is the penile implant still the gold standard for treatment of erectile dysfunction?” The Third Global Chinese Andrology and Sexual Medicine Congress (Beijing, China) 22/9/16
- “Special lecture 13 – Prevalence and risk factors for metabolic syndrome in Chinese male population” Moderator. 20th World Meeting on Sexual Medicine (Beijing, China) 24/9/16
- “Androgens” Take Home Messages. . 20th World Meeting on Sexual Medicine (Beijing, China) 25/9/16
- “Penile rehabilitation” Preceptor. 3rd Asia Pacific Preceptorship in Urology – Advances in Prostate Cancer Management 2016 (Singapore) 18/11/16
- “Penile Prosthesis – How I Do It” Preceptor. 3rd Asia Pacific Preceptorship in Urology – Advances in Prostate Cancer Management 2016 (Singapore) 18/11/16
- “Management of Post Prostatectomy Sexual Dysfunction” Andrology Plenary, Urofair 2017 (Singapore) 22/4/17
- “Male Sexual Dysfunction” Sexuality Awareness Workshop 5th Singapore Rehabilitation Conference 6/9/17
- “Management of penile prosthesis complications” 16th Asia Pacific Society for Sexual Medicine Meeting 2017 Chiangmai, Thailand 11/10/17 – 13/10/17
- Chairman for free paper (oral presentation) 16th Asia Pacific Society for Sexual Medicine Meeting 2017 Chiangmai, Thailand 11/10/17 – 13/10/17
- “Low intensity shockwave therapy for erectile dysfunction” 1st Vietnamese Society of Sexual Medicine Congress, Vun Thau, Vietnam 24/11/17- 26/11/17
- “Penile prosthesis for the Asian Man: 4th World Chinese Andrology and Sexual Medicine Symposium. 21st World Meeting on Sexual Medicine (Lisbon, Portugal) 28 Feb 2018
- “Androgens take home messages: 21st World Meeting on Sexual Medicine (Lisbon, Portugal) 3 Mar 2018
- Chairman for Masterclass for Andrology during Urofair 2018
- “Harvesting a Barren Field. Male Subfertility” SMHS Andrology Course 2018 (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia) 27-29 July 2018
- “Manhood Issues After Treatment of Prostate Cancer” – Talk for TTSH Prostate cancer support Group (PSCG) 15/9/14
- “前列腺癌治疗后男子气概问题”－ Talk for TTSH Prostate cancer support Group (PCSG) 15/9/14
- “Men’s Wellbeing, Well being Men, Being Well Men” – “Eat Play Love” Lunch talk for Roche employees 17/10/14
- “Launch of SMHS ED Guidelines 2014” – Press conference in TTSH on 19/11/14
- “Bedroom Issues” – TTSH Care Connect Public Forum 8/12/14
- “What to Expect After Treatment of Prostate Cancer” – TTSH Care Connect Public Forum 4/2/15
- “Erectile Dysfunction” – SMHS Public Forum on Erectile Dysfunction (held at TTSH) 15/2/15
- “前列腺增生是男性下尿路症状的罪魁祸首吗?” SFCS Public Forum, Singapore Continence Week 2015 (27-28/6/15)
- “Male Fertility & Sexuality” – Public Forum: Your Fertility Journey: Planning Ahead (KKH) 22/8/15
- “前列腺癌疗程后如何停止漏尿，并且维持房事” Prostate Awareness Month 2016 Public Forum 1/11/15
- “What should I expect at the urologist?” SCS Prostate Awareness Month Public Forum 21/11/15
- “前列腺癌治疗的并发症能医好吗?” SCS Prostate Awareness Month Public Forum 21/11/15
- “高潮时尿失禁与压力性尿失禁” SFCS Public Forum, Singapore Continence Week 2016 (14/5/16)
- “Optimizing the Husband’s Fertility” Public Forum: Getting That Big Fat Positive (BFP) – A Guide to Assisted Reproduction and IVF (KKH) 20/8/16
- “新陈代谢综合症是个定时炸弹” SMHS Public Forum “ The Return of Manhood” 20 November 2016
- “Dealing with complications after prostate cancer treatment.” SCS Prostate Awareness Month Public Forum 26 November 2016
- “前列腺癌治好了，我却有些男言之隐。。。” SCS Prostate Awareness Month Public Forum 26 November 2016
- “Optimizing the Husband” KKH Public Forum 30/9/17
- “Understanding Male Fertility and Sexual Health” KKH Public Form 18/8/18
- “Let’s Talk about Sex and the T Hormone” Lunch Talk for employees of Chevron Oronite (Jurong Island) 28/8/18
- “Urinary problems in Prostate Cancer Survivors” SCS Walnut Warriors Health Talk 13/10/18